|Posted on November 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM|
Billions of dollars have been made from putting plastics, fluoride and heavy-metal containing technology into everyday life. The industrial world is wealthy beyond belief. And the truth is that our bodies have become the world’s biggest toxic dumps.
And due to the recent questions that I have received from patients from my last blog, there is a need to mention plastic detoxing.
The thing to realize is that plastic is everywhere. It is not only found in nearly all packaged foods, but even in cardboard milk containers that are now coated with plastic rather than wax. It is also sprayed on commercial and some organic produce to preserve its freshness. Ever notice that sticky plastic wrapping at the cut stem of your organic bananas? It’s there to protect the bananas from black mold. The problem is how to protect you from the “protective” plastic.
So I think that even if we make a conscious decision to avoid plastic containers, cups, wraps and even canned food (coated on the inside with plastic), plastic will still show up in our bodies, as this xenoestrogenic substance is ubiquitous in the environment (cosmetics, non stick pans, out gassing from new furniture, carpets, etc.).
The list is literally endless and it is pretty much impossible to avoid all xenoestrogens unless you live on a deserted island far away from the modern world. Environmental medicine is a new expansive topic, and it is easy to see why.
Dealing with this fallout, the question is: what do I do to remove these xenoestrogenic plastics out of my body? The answer is: EVERYTHING!!!
When you choose a natural holistic lifestyle, there is never just one thing that needs to shift. It may start with your diet- removing the obvious unhealthy foods and replacing them with a more natural choice. From there it goes to detoxing your home, workspace and even dropping people that are creating imbalance in your life.
On my road to amazing health, detoxing my body is number one. If you are waiting for other people to change, or for someone to hold your hand and give you what you need so that you can be healthier, you may be waiting a very long time. Actually, that day may never come. Besides, giving away your power to someone else to fix your health, again may set you up for being even sicker. (That explains why conventional doctors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S.).
You can take a ton of nutritional supplements and exercise to have a perfect physique, but you will never be truly healthy until you start removing all the chemicals that you have accumulated your whole lifetime.
A simple place to start is by reading my previous blogs on detoxing, and go from there. As for the specific issue of xenoestrogens from plastics, my best suggestions are:
· Ingest foods rich in phytoestrogens. They are found in flax seeds, sprouted beans, some fruits and vegetables. Phytoestrogens bind to the estrogen site preventing the xenoestrogens from being bound. Do avoid tofu, as there is much controversy on its side effects from over consumption.
· Eat tons of cruciferous vegetables. (Preferably raw, fermented or lightly steamed). This would include, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale. They are rich in indole-3-carbinole. This converts to di-indolyl-methane (DIM). DIM then induces certain enzymes in the liver to block the production of toxic estrogens and improves the production of the beneficial forms. (If you have a hypothyroid condition, you should consult a qualified practitioner for guidance).
· Avoid coffee as some studies show that it can boost estrogen levels.
· Avoid foods that have been treated with hormones or pesticides. They are both
xenoestrogens. Eat organic as much as possible.
· Avoid the excessive use of lavender essential oil.
Steamed Cauliflower for Detoxification
Photo credit Creative Commons: Lablascovegmenu
This would be my quick list for detoxing plastics from the body. With further research, there is always more that can be done.
Xenoestrogens are one of the most troubling types of endocrine disruptors. It will mimic estrogen and attach to the body's estrogen-receptor sites, in both women and men (notice men are developing breast overgrowth). These xenoestrogens interfere with hormonal signaling and are believed to cause an increased risk of hormonal imbalances contributing to breast, prostate, and reproductive cancers; reduced fertility; early puberty in children; menstrual irregularities; endometriosis; numerous cysts and other disorders.
Start now and detox. The sooner you begin, the sooner you will transform. Never put your health on hold. You are much too important to wait.
If you liked this post, you may also like: The Flaws of Fluoride