|Posted on December 30, 2018 at 10:30 PM||comments (0)|
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States. Concomitantly, many studies show that there is an increase in the risk of death from all cancers for anyone who smokes.
Aside from these obvious statistics, cigarette smoking can cause significant changes in your oral health. The most frequent side effect from smoking is stained yellow-brown teeth. Lesser known effects are bad breath, dry mouth, gum disease, tooth loss and increased incidence of oral cancer.
Looking for a substitute, one may immediately go to e-cigarettes. E-cigarettes don’t contain tobacco. Instead they contain nicotine in a chemical solution that is heated and vaporized so that you can inhale it.
The good news is that it won’t stain your teeth yellow-brown, but that may be the only advantage.
Studies show that e-cigarettes are just as harmful as conventional cigarettes and perhaps even more detrimental. This is because they contain solvents and flavorings that are highly carcinogenic.
Even though these e-cigarettes contain no nicotine, the substitute chemical flavorings added, exacerbate the damage that was previously caused by nicotine. Menthol flavored vapor is considered the most toxic.
While some e-cigarette manufacturers advertise that these e-cigarettes can help you quit regular cigarettes, this has not been proven.
Replacing one toxic habit with another toxic habit is not a solution. The best way to avoid smoking is to never start. Electronic cigarettes are not the solution if you want to quit smoking. There are other choices. It is paramount to speak to your health care professional for further advice.
|Posted on November 23, 2018 at 10:55 PM||comments (0)|
The holiday season can be stressful for many, but focusing on gratitude will make a tremendous difference in mitigating this stress. Additionally, it may also change your entire outlook on life.
Here are some simple suggestions on how to have a more positive attitude:
- • Smile. Children, on average, smile 400 times a day. Adults only smile on average of 20 times per day. ‘Fake it until you make it” comes to mind. Consciously put that smile on, until it becomes innate.
- • Eat healthy. Avoiding junk food (sugar, processed foods and alcohol) will keep your mind clear.
- • Exercise. Good to keep the energy flowing.
- • Keep your dental health in check. Regular visits to the dentist, will keep your teeth and gums healthy and pain free. Nothing worse than a toothache to ruin your mindset.
- • Focus on what you have, not on what you don’t have. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
- • Donate. Many studies have shown that donating activates pleasure centers in the brain.
Here is an excerpt from our book Enlightened Indigo Child that may give you a good idea on how to consciously focus on gratitude:
Trick #4: Feel Gratitude
Just like love, gratitude is a high frequency. Having gratitude for the positive memories, lessons learned, and experiences you have, is one step closer to forgiveness.
Say or think the sentence: I am grateful for____________.
Just fill in the blank. Do this exercise as often as you can for as long as you can; for at least ten minutes or longer. It almost becomes a form of meditation and can create an inner peace like no medication could ever possibly achieve.
I often use this as a walking meditation. “What beautiful trees. Thank you for being here and cleaning our air and making the street lovelier. … What a beautiful building. So tall and majestic. Wow. And look at the pretty architecture. … The clouds. They’re so puffy and white. Thank you for providing rain for the plants to grow and giving us water to drink….. And look at that beautiful big pile of garbage on the street. Somebody just cleaned out their home to make room for new stuff……And those dirty pots and dishes left in the sink. So grateful to have such healthy food to eat on these lovely dishes.”
You get the point. Find the joy of everything. It’s there if you change your paradigm viewpoint.
While the old adage says to count sheep if you can’t sleep, I say to count blessings. Not only will you fall asleep quicker, you will be in a very restful high frequency state of tranquility. Your dreams will be better and you will wake up more refreshed than ever. The added bonus is that you will see your life attracting more positive experiences. It’s a paradigm shift of focusing on what you have and not on what you want. The Universal Law of Attraction will always bring more of whatever you think about.
If you worry incessantly on how your parents are mean, guess what? They will be. But if you show gratitude for all the nice things they have done (given you food, clothing, toys, life, etc.) then you will find that they will continue to do more of it.
And for the parents, if you worry and continue to point out how inadequate your child is relative to other kids his age, then you will never see the blessings of their situation. Not everyone can be a doctor, lawyer or rocket scientist, so focus on their strengths and show gratitude for your child’s gifts.
Gratefulness is a mindset, and a gift in and of itself. My hope is that you experience deep gratitude this holiday season, and appreciate the gifts that are freely yours each day.
If you like this post you may also like https://www.thebrandwellnesscenter.com/apps/blog/show/8260266-an-attitude-of-gratitude" target="_blank">An Attitude of Gratitude
|Posted on October 22, 2018 at 8:45 AM||comments (0)|
Magnesium deficiency is rampant. While less than 2% of Americans have been estimated to experience magnesium deficiency, one study suggests that up to 75% are not meeting their recommended intake. In most cases, deficiency is often overlooked until the person becomes extremely symptomatic. Even then, a different health condition may be the diagnosis with no regard to magnesium deficiency being the actual cause.
Epsom Salt - A Good Source of Magnesium
Magnesium deficiency can be linked to many symptoms and diseases; most commonly muscle cramping and twitches, palpitations, anxiety and trouble sleeping.
Here is an abbreviated list of hypomagnesemia’s most prominent symptoms:
- • hypertension and cardiovascular disease, palpitations, irregular heartbeat, atrial fibrillations
- • kidney and liver damage
- • migraine headaches
- • muscle cramps and fasciculations
- • other nutrient deficiencies, including vitamin K, calcium and potassium
- • restless leg syndrome
- • depression and anxiety
- • insomnia and trouble sleeping
- • osteoporosis
- • a depressed immune system
- • tooth cavities
- • bruxism
- • muscle weakness and cramps
If you believe you may have a magnesium deficiency, your suspicions can be confirmed with a simple blood test. However this may not even be accurate, as a blood test will tell you how much magnesium is circulating, not how much is actually being absorbed.
There are many good food sources of magnesium, but most people have compromised gut situations where they do not break down their food properly and as a result do not absorb magnesium (and other nutrients) efficiently.
If you are looking for natural sources of magnesium, here is a list of the top ten foods: (the RDA for an adult is 300 -400 milligrams/day):
- 1. Spinach: 1 cup cooked: 157 milligrams
- 2. Swiss Chard: 1 cup cooked: 150 milligrams
- 3. Black Beans: 1 cup cooked: 120 milligrams
- 4. Mung Beans: 1 cup cooked: 97 milligrams
- 5. Almonds: ¼ cup: 97 milligrams
- 6. Cashews: ¼ cup: 91 milligrams
- 7. Potatoes: 1 large: 85 milligrams
- 8. Pumpkin Seeds: 1/4 cup: 42 milligrams
- 9. Avocado: 1 raw: 39 milligrams
- 10. Bananas: 1 banana: 37 milligrams
Consequently, supplementation may be the best solution.
Here is a list of magnesium supplements and their typical uses:
- • magnesium carbonate — used in antacids; strong laxative effect
- • magnesium citrate — most popular all-around magnesium supplement; moderate laxative effects
- • magnesium glycinate — considered ideal for correcting deficiency; has a calming effect, good for muscle issues
- • magnesium hydroxide — found in milk of magnesia; laxative, antacid
- • magnesium malate — fatigue, fibromyalgia, insomnia
- • magnesium taurate — high blood pressure, heart arrhythmia, calming
- • magnesium threonate - most readily enters the brain. Its unique ability to permeate brain cell membranes and elevate magnesium concentrations in the brain makes it particularly useful for treating anxiety and depression, and for cognitive enhancement.
- • magnesium oxide- only hast 4% bioavailability, acts as a laxative
- • magnesium oil - a good source for transdermal supplementation, especially good for anyone with a compromised intestines or prone to diarrhea
- • magnesium chloride – can be mixed with water to make magnesium oil. Most effective for transdermal absorption
- • magnesium sulfate – also known as Epsom salt. Great for soaking in the tub to soothe tired muscles or transdermal supplementation
There are few risks associated with magnesium supplementation. Most common is diarrhea, nausea or cramping. It is possible to take too much magnesium. To determine which magnesium is best for you, it is a good idea to speak with your educated health practitioner.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like: The Miracle of Minerals
|Posted on September 15, 2018 at 9:00 PM||comments (2)|
Here’s a newsflash.
Flossing your teeth BEFORE you brush has been proven to be the most effective way to get your teeth their cleanest. This recent study recently published in the Journal of Periodontology has just confirmed exactly what I have been telling patients for years: Floss First! (You can take a look at our blog written 4 years ago to get the details on this)
Apparently, by removing all the interproximal plaque and food debris, you will actually be able to clean more of the tooth surface and gums. Makes perfect sense to me.
Consequently the question that pops into my mind is: why do all the directions on the toothpaste tube say to brush first and then floss? Here are a few reasons:
• Brushing is easier than flossing
• Toothpaste taste better than floss
• Toothpaste is advertised everywhere and more socially acceptable, floss isn’t
• The more you brush, the more toothpaste you will buy (therefore the label advises you to brush first)
Finally, if flossing is so important for dental health, it is best to make sure you are doing it correctly; most people aren’t. At your next dental visit, make it a priority to ask your dentist/hygienist for a quick demo to master this critical part of keeping your teeth healthy for a lifetime.
|Posted on August 3, 2018 at 11:05 AM||comments (0)|
Glyphosate was first introduced in the United States in 1974. It is best known for being the active ingredient in Monsanto’s popular Roundup herbicide. It is used on crops of all kinds, from corn to soybeans to wheat to potatoes. Unfortunately it is now being found in many organic crops as well, due to wind dispersing it from nearby farms. There really is no way to avoid it; glyphosate is everywhere.
Trace amounts of glyphosate are found in all foods, and as a result, in our bodies. At high exposure, it has been classified as a “probable carcinogen” and assumed to have a significant correlation with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. (See usrtk.org/pesticides/mdl-monsanto-glyphosate-cancer-case-key-documents-analysis/
According to one study, the major health issues associated with glyphosate are:
• Alzheimer’s disease:
• Anencephaly (birth defect)
• Birth defects
• Brain cancer
• Breast cancer
• Celiac disease and gluten intolerance
• Chronic kidney disease
• Heart disease
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease (“Leaky Gut Syndrome” )
• Liver disease
• Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS)
• Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
• Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
• Parkinson’s disease:
• Pregnancy problems (infertility, miscarriages, stillbirths)
• Reproductive problems
• Respiratory illnesses
That’s a long list of health problems.
The good news is that it is simple to detox from glyphosate. The challenge is that this detoxing will now be a lifelong practice that needs to be done routinely to be effective.
Most effective ways to detox from Glyphosate:
• Oil pulling –sunflower oil (as opposed to other oils for oil pulling) seems to be the most effective in pulling out the oil soluble toxin
Gyphosate is a fat soluble toxin. Mobilization of fat from the body is the best way to excrete it. Use of a sauna may be difficult for the majority, but oil pulling is accessible to everyone. You can learn more about Oil Pulling here.
|Posted on June 30, 2018 at 8:25 AM||comments (2)|
Oral candidiasis -- also known as Oral thrush, is a condition in which the fungus Candida albicans accumulates on the lining of your mouth and tongue. Candida is a normal organism in your mouth, but sometimes it can overgrow and cause symptoms. When the fungus begins to grow uncontrollably, an infection can develop.
Oral thrush most often occurs in infants and toddlers, people receiving cancer therapies, diabetics, and anyone with a compromised immune system. If you have any history of taking antibiotics or heavy metal toxicity (including mercury fillings), you are a prime candidate for a Candida infection.
There are many cases of patients with a long history of “stubborn” candida overgrowth and yeast infections that couldn’t be easily healed. Only when the heavy metal toxicity problem was addressed, the candida overgrowth became easier to manage. This is very common in people that have mercury fillings or a known exposure to mercury.
Oral Symptoms of Candidiasis:
• Creamy white lesions on your tongue, inner cheeks, and sometimes on the roof of your mouth, gums and tonsils
• Slightly raised lesions with a cottage cheese-like appearance
• Redness, burning or soreness that may be severe enough to cause difficulty eating or swallowing
• Slight bleeding if the lesions are rubbed or scraped
• Cracking and redness at the corners of your mouth
• A cottony feeling in your mouth
• Loss of taste
• Redness, irritation and pain under dentures (denture stomatitis)
Other Symptoms of Candidiasis:
• skin issues
• sugar cravings
• autoimmune disease
• digestive issues
• joint pain
• brain fog
Some Simple Remedies for Treating Oral Thrush:
1. Salt water rinses
2. Oral probiotics throughout the day: yogurt, manuka honey, probiotics lozenges
3. Coconut Oil Pulling
4. Apple Cider Vinegar to maintain proper pH and increase good bacteria in the mouth
5. Tea Tree Oil or Peppermint Oil rinse. Gargle with few drops added to warm water
6. Baking Soda to maintain good pH by neutralizing acids in the mouth
7. Chewing garlic
8. Grapefruit seed extract rinse
9. Aloe vera applied directly to the lesions
10. Visit your dentist for treatment with ozone or laser treatment
In severe cases, usually related to cancer or a weakened immune system from HIV/AIDS, the lesions may spread downward into the esophagus — the foodpipe stretching from the back of your mouth to your stomach. If this occurs, you may experience difficulty swallowing and pain or feel as if food is getting stuck in your throat.
Thrush is uncommon in healthy children and adults, so if thrush develops, see your doctor to determine if further evaluation is needed to check for an underlying medical condition or other cause.
|Posted on May 12, 2018 at 11:35 PM||comments (0)|
Using activated charcoal for whitening teeth can be effective, at least, initially. Long term effects can be damaging. A recent study has just proven exactly what I have been telling patients for years. Brushing any abrasive substance (activated charcoal, bentonite clay, kaolin paste, diatomaceous earth, etc.) on your teeth may initially whiten them by polishing the discolored enamel, but eventually it will lead to an end result of harmful effects.
Activated charcoal toothbrushing
According to this study, the teeth may start out getting whiter, but with continuous use, the outer white enamel layer will be worn away (abraded), exposing the secondary layer of brown or gray dentin. The other concern with further use is the thinning of the teeth themselves, making them more translucent (thin and see-through), and ultimately prone to chipping, cracking or decay. As a side note, activated charcoal powder scores about a 70 to 90 on the RDA (Relative Dentin Abrasivity) scale, while most whitening toothpastes score between 100 to 200 RDA.
So when looking for natural ways to whiten your teeth, consider these parameters:
• Try Oil Pulling. See our post on Oil Pulling for further information.
• Brush with Baking Soda. It has a low abrasive level. It has a Mohs hardness value of 2.5 and an RDA (Relative Dentin Abrasivity) value of 7. See this chart below for Abrasive levels of different toothpastes. Also read our post on Baking Soda and Oral Health.
• Avoid staining foods; particularly coffee, tea and turmeric.
• Avoid smoking cigarettes or smoking anything.
• Eat fruits and vegetables to naturally clean your teeth.
• Increase mineral consumption to strengthen the tooth structure which will prevent stains from absorbing.
• Rinse your mouth with water immediately after consuming acidic foods.
• Brush and floss after every meal to remove staining food and acid buildup on teeth.
• Avoid excessive fluoride intake to prevent fluorosis (mottled staining) of the teeth. See our many posts on Fluorosis.
• Avoid antibiotics, especially Tetracycline in childhood. Tetracycline stain has been documented in causing irreversible intrinsic staining in developing teeth.
To answer our original question about activated charcoal – does it whiten teeth?
The answer is ‘yes’ and ‘no’. It only will whiten teeth by removing the outside layer of tooth structure. Not a very holistic choice for whitening. It might be better to use it as a rinse instead of actually brushing it on your teeth. Just swish it around for a few minutes in your mouth and it will absorb the surface stains on your teeth. I have seen several patients whose teeth suffered erosion due to the overuse of brushing with charcoal. Use with discretion.
|Posted on April 15, 2018 at 7:00 PM||comments (0)|
Most people are aware that there is a strong correlation between periodontal (gum) disease and heart attacks. Bringing this a step further, one can see that there may also be a strong correlation between bone loss and overall heart disease. Since most periodontal disease involves not just gum inflammation and pocketing, but also loss of the bone height supporting the teeth, we can assume that this bone loss, along with the gum inflammation is involved with the heart attack as well.
According to a recent PubMed study, Correlation between Osteoporosis and Cardiovascular Disease, patients affected with osteoporosis, have a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases than subjects with normal bone mass. For years we were told that this may be due to bacteria getting into the bloodstream and causing blood clots (stroke or heart attack) in the blood vessels, but there may be a bigger culprit to consider.
It has been found that low bone densities are strongly associated with high calcification of the blood vessels. Via nutritional deficiency, minerals are deposited in the lining of arteries instead of the bones. This can be seen on standard x-rays, where dense calcium deposits in the aorta are seen juxtaposed to thin, calcium depleted vertebrae.
Calcification may even form around the heart valves, leading to decrease blood flow and thickening of the arterial walls.
An additional study has shown an almost six time greater risk of heart disease in people with osteoporosis.
When we consider that the people of our country (USA) probably eat more dairy and take more calcium supplements that anyone else in the world, one has to wonder why osteoporosis and heart disease is rampant.
We may be getting all the minerals we need but apparently, these minerals are being deposited in the blood vessels, not the bones.
This is most likely due to Vitamin K2 deficiency, the necessary nutrient that deposits the minerals in the bone and reduces vascular calcium deposits. It is almost impossible to get enough from food, so it is best to supplement.
|Posted on March 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM||comments (0)|
It’s wonderful when we are proactive for our own health. Taking charge of a good diet, and implementing effective daily detoxing is one of the best ways to get out from under a chronic inflammatory condition.
Sometimes however, we can be a bit over ambitious, detox too quickly and feel worse than before we started. This is called a Healing Crisis or Herxheimer Reaction.
Healing Crisis is a term used to describe the uncomfortable side effects that occur when we rapidly detoxify chemicals, heavy metals, pathogens and/or accumulated wastes from tissues and cells.
The symptoms usually include:
• Serious headaches
• confusing mental fog
• intense unexplained anxiety
• constipation or digestive upset
• respiratory problems
• palpitations and tremors
Needless to say, this can be scary and extremely uncomfortable. Sometimes the Herxheimer can be so intense that it may feel like an emergency situation that requires a visit to the hospital emergency room.
With that being said, it is always important to detox slowly, at a pace your body can handle. I know that we are all in a rush to get healthy immediately, but slow and steady is really the way to go. The journey to better health is forever on-going and it may take months to notice an improvement in health. It took years for to develop this chronic illness and it may take just as long to get well.
Here are some basics to help:
• Begin all detox plans slowly. You can never be sure how your body will react, so give it at least 3-5 days (or more) for a slow transition before going up to full dosage.
• Take supportive nutrients for the detox pathways. Begin at least 2 weeks before you start any detox plan. Liver and gut support are paramount. It might be best to work with an informed health practitioner to support you on this.
• Keep your bowels moving daily to prevent reabsorption of die-off toxins.
If you have a constipation issue, do not even start a detox program until you have at least one bowel movement each day.
• Always follow a clean diet, avoiding sugars and all processed foods.
• Drink plenty of water with additional minerals to keep the systems hydrated and the cells communicating.
• Get enough sleep. Eight to ten hours per night is essential for the body to go into a healing phase.
• Alkalinize to buffer toxins. Chlorophyll drinks may be helpful for this.
• Take plenty of antioxidants to neutralize the oxidative stress from released toxins.
Herxheimer reactions can be quite intense and frightening. Good planning will make a tremendous difference for a smooth experience.
More information on detoxification can be found in my book: My Secrets to Regaining Health
|Posted on February 18, 2018 at 7:10 PM||comments (0)|
With so much stress in our lives, cold sores on the lips (and in the mouth) are commonplace. But sometimes a cold sore may be something else. If you've ever had cold sores that didn't respond to medication designed to treat them, it might be angular cheilitis, a completely different medical condition that looks surprisingly similar. The good news is that angular cheilitis is usually easy to treat, perhaps even easier that cold sores.
Angular cheilitis may mimic cold sores, but there are specific signs you can look for to tell them apart.
1. Angular cheilitis usually begins as a patch of dry, irritated or cracked skin at one or both corners of the lips. It can persist for years, if left untreated.
2. Cold sores typically begin as an itchy or painful area that turns into one or a group of small, painful blisters. Over a 7-10 day time period, they may weep, scab over, and then finally heal. They can be found anywhere on the soft tissues of the mouth, intraorally and extraorally.
3. Angular cheilitis originates from a yeast or staph infection, vitamin deficiencies or poor fitting dentures.
4. Cold sores are a contagious viral outbreak, usually manifesting when you are under stress or have a weakened immune system.
A cure for either one of these conditions is simple and quick once we know the cause. Nutritional support with a painless laser treatment is usually the easiest way to treat these and to prevent recurrence. Knowing which one you have can make all the difference in the outcome. Always best to see your health provider for a proper diagnosis and plan of action.
|Posted on January 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM||comments (0)|
There are several ways to reverse or arrest decay (see our many posts on this topic), and the application of silver diamine fluoride has come up recently as a possible solution. In our office, the inquiries on silver diamine fluoride are mostly from parents of young children, hoping to avoid having fillings placed in their toddler’s teeth.
Silver diamine fluoride (SDF) is a colorless strongly alkaline liquid (pH 10) that is 24.4% to 28.8% (weight/volume) silver and 5.0% to 5.9% fluoride. Just as 5% sodium fluoride varnish has FDA clearance as a Class II medical device for the treatment of tooth hypersensitivity, FDA classified SDF as a fluoride and cleared its use as a Class II medical device for the same indication. SDF has been popular for many years in Europe and recently became available here in the United States.
Teeth Stained by Silver Diamine Fluoride
A recent article in the New York Times highlighted the use of silver diamine fluoride (SDF) as an alternative approach to treatment of cavities in children. The article highlighted that SDF was faster and cheaper than drilling and filling; and it mentioned the downside that when applied, SDF blackens the tooth. When applied to a carious lesion, SDF has been shown to lower caries risk of the tooth surface. This is most likely due to its fluoride content topically applied to the tooth. It will not stop decay from progressing deep within the tooth.
Here is a short list of the Pros and Cons:
• SDF has very low toxicity
• it is quick, painless, non-invasive
• it is less expensive than a filling, no drilling necessary
• it can stop tooth decay on the exterior surface of the cavity and help prevent recurrent decay making it effective in management of root caries in the elderly
• permanently stains cavities black.
• does not restore tooth form or function, so large holes in teeth will remain and continue to trap food
• decay and bacteria will continue to exist buried within the tooth structure at the deep internal part of the cavity lesion. This means that the cavity is still active and growing at the part nearest the nerve
• requires repeat application for maximum efficacy
• cannot be used in the presence of infection or decay into the nerve
• metallic taste, funky smell
• potential to irritate gingival and mucosal surfaces
SDF is not a complete solution to caries risk. Single application has been reported to be insufficient for sustained benefit. SDF might be more accurately described as effective for caries control and management. It will not reverse decay.
It likely has additional applicability as an interim approach for managing problematic caries in individuals currently unable to tolerate more involved dental treatment.
A search of ClinicalTrials.gov for silver diamine fluoride returned 14 studies; 7 of which have been completed, 5 that are recruiting, and 2 that have not yet begun recruiting. This suggests that more scientific insight and news will likely be forthcoming about this product.
Silver Diamine Fluoride is not the panacea that many have been led to believe. Proper diet, good oral hygiene are still paramount to maintain a healthy dentition.
|Posted on December 10, 2017 at 9:30 PM||comments (1)|
Mineral deficiency is rampant. Due to modern farming methods that rely heavily on using chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and insecticides that are absorbed into the soil, our topsoil has been heavily depleted of its mineral content. As a result, so are our fruits and vegetables.
Magnesium is the master mineral, and the repercussions of deficiency are easily observed.
Here are some signs of a magnesium deficiency:
• Poor sleep
• Heart palpitations or flutterings
• Muscle weakness
• Muscle cramps
• Unexplained anxiety
• High blood pressure
• Low blood pressure accompanied with a feeling of fainting
• Type II diabetes
• Respiratory issues, specifically asthma
• Difficulty swallowing
• Poor memory
• Immune system problems
Dentally, when mineral deficient, you may experience increased bruxism (grinding of teeth) or even rampant decay (demineralized enamel) or periodontal infections (weakened immune system). Minerals are vital to a strong immune system as well as building the integrity of teeth and bones.
The most immediate response (usually within one day) that I notice in patients who begin increasing magnesium, is better sleep and less anxiety. Many feel as though they have taken a sedative, as their entire body and mind are finally feeling relaxed.
There are many different formulas for magnesium supplements, so it is always best to talk with your health professional to see which would work best for you. Transdermal magnesium chloride (magnesium oil) applied topically or Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) baths are probably one of the safest ways to increase magnesium uptake with virtually no side effects.
So for relaxation, and overall better health, mineral supplementation with an emphasis on magnesium is key.
If you like this post, you may also like our many other Posts on Mineral Supplementation
|Posted on November 12, 2017 at 5:00 PM||comments (1)|
Homeopathy is a natural form of medicine used by over 200 million people worldwide to treat both acute and chronic conditions. The name homeopathy, coined by its originator, Samuel Hahnemann in the year 1810, is derived from the Greek words for ‘similar suffering’ referring to the ‘like cures like’ principle of healing. In other words, a substance taken in small amounts will cure the same symptoms it causes if it were taken in large amounts. Homeopathic remedies are vibrational remedies, in which an exceedingly dilute amount of a particular natural substance is used to treat a particular ailment.
That being said, there are a plethora of different homeopathic remedies available over the counter, and even more being custom made for specific disorders.
In my practice, I have found that an increasing number of patients are seeking complementary and alternative therapies to conventional medicine. Homeopathy is one modality that is very helpful in this regard. It can be used successfully as an adjunct in healing dental infections, lessening dental pain, improving periodontal health, and expediting healing after surgery.
Will it cure everything? Probably not. But by integrating homeopathy with the wisdom of conventional dental care, the results can be more progressive than usually expected.
As many of you already know, I am a big believer of vibrational healing. (see The 2 Minute Tune Up post) By using different kinds of quantum energy healing techniques, I have been able to make a full recovery from chronic Lyme disease. By adjusting the energy field of a disorder, the disorder can be brought back to an energy of health.
“Energy (holistic) medicine recognizes that there is more to affecting change than going directly after the symptom. Sometimes you have to affect the field to create a shift in the particle; like listening to uplifting music to change your emotional state which will ultimately affect your physical health. This is based on Quantum physics: using indivisible units of energy called quanta to affect the field around it. And this theory basis of Quantum physics explains the precepts behind Energy Medicine,” inclusive of homeopathy. (Referenced from my post on Reiki: June 2011)
While homeopathy falls under the umbrella of alternative or complementary medicine, it is not to be confused with naturopathy or herbalism. Homeopathy is defined more narrowly than naturopathy. Homeopathy is one of the most frequently used complementary therapies worldwide.
|Posted on October 19, 2017 at 8:50 AM||comments (0)|
The link between genetics and degenerative diseases has become a focal point in the medical field.
DNA testing for Alzheimer’s, breast cancer, diabetes, etc. is fairly common nowadays; and the addition of new types of genetic testing is mounting.
Cross over to dentistry, and let’s see what’s available. Presently, in New York State, the dentist is now allowed to test for genetic markers in saliva for periodontal disease and oral cancer (from HPV). Both are relatively simple and painless tests. No needles, no drills, no blood. Just rinse with a saline (salt) solution and spit into a test tube. One week later, your results are in.
So why is this important? Well if you have the genetic markers for gum disease, you really don’t want to postpone periodontal care. Losing teeth is never a good thing (can’t smile and can’t eat) and it will be expensive to replace missing teeth with implants or dentures. Best to diagnose it before it is symptomatic to prevent it from manifesting.
As for the genetic oral cancer test, it is good to know which HPV gene you have if any (there are 51 HPV types tested in the saliva analysis), so that you can be proactive in eradicating it BEFORE oral cancer strikes.
According to a new study published in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, nationwide rates for oral HPV infections are 11.5% of men and 3.2% of women. That’s 11 million men, compared with 3.2 million women. That means that about one in nine American men is infected with the oral form of human papillomavirus (HPV).
Genetic testing for the prevention and treatment of periodontal disease, as well as the assessment for oral cancer susceptibility, allows for a personalized approach to holistic preventive health care.
Bear in mind that that nearly all oral diseases cause absolutely no pain until they are quite advanced. This includes tooth decay, periodontal disease, and oral cancer. Oral cancer occurs more frequently than most other common cancers. Due to late diagnosis, about half of the nearly 50,000 patients diagnosed every year with oral cancer in the U.S. will die of their disease. The only positive way to impact this devastating outcome is with yearly physical examination of the oral cavity, head, and neck. Saliva genetic analysis may just save your life.
Be sure to ask for you saliva genetic testing at your next visit.
|Posted on September 17, 2017 at 2:10 PM||comments (1)|
There are so many ways to detoxify your body from heavy metals. The most familiar are chelation, salt/clay baths, cilantro and homeopathics. All of these are certainly good and can be very effective. But another simple technique that is also very effective is ingesting diatomaceous earth.
Diatomaceous earth is a powdery dirt-like substance found naturally in the earth’s soil. These powdery substance is are chalky and tasteless. These particles are called diatomite, and the resulting mixture from the powder is known as diatomaceous earth.
Conventionally, diatomaceous earth has been used for insect control, specifically bed bugs and garden insects. As for human purposes, it has been found to be effective for killing intestinal parasites and removing heavy metals from the body.
Particles of diatomaceous earth have microscopic sharp edges. When diatomaceous earth is mixed with liquid and swallowed, these sharp edges eviscerate bacteria and harmful microorganisms within the body. That’s why diatomaceous earth is popular for getting rid of bacteria and other infections.
At the same time, diatomaceous earth particles also have a unique honeycomb structure. This honeycomb structure – similar to the one found in charcoal particles – attracts harmful heavy metals.
Heavy metals are absorbed into the honeycomb structure through positive/negative attraction. Specifically, diatomaceous earth has a negative charge while heavy metals are positively charged. The diatomaceous earth attracts all of these particles, trapping them inside the honeycomb structure. The honeycomb structure prevents the particles from entering the body. Instead, heavy metals are passed out of your body naturally without being absorbed.
There are many benefits to daily ingestion of diatomaceous earth:
- Natural colon detoxification
- Can lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol
- Restoration of healthy bowel movements
- Anti-parasitic activity; including pathogenic bacteria and viruses
- Aids in the reduction of stubborn belly fat and weight loss
- Strengthens Hair, Skin, And Nails (due to silica content)
- Boosts The Health Of Your Teeth And Gums
- Restores Energy Levels
Food-grade diatomaceous earth is the type you want to use when you’re cleaning your body or protecting your garden (diatomaceous earth acts as an excellent natural insecticide). It is also good to give a little to your pets, as it may keep away intestinal parasites. Rubbing a bit on their fur is also an excellent non-toxic flea insecticide.
Nonfood-grade diatomaceous earth is typically cheaper and is used for situations where it does not need to be ingested by animals or humans. If you’re using diatomaceous earth to kill bed bugs, for example, then non-food-grade diatomaceous earth is perfectly acceptable (as long as you keep it away from your pets).
Start by mixing one level teaspoon of diatomaceous earth into an 8 ounce glass of water before breakfast. Then, take another teaspoon in water before going to bed.
Diatomaceous earth is so safe that it’s approved by the FDA and is a food product that is part of the Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) database. That database includes food products that have exhibited no harmful side effects in any significant studies to date.
One important reason why diatomaceous earth is safe is because it’s water-soluble. It may be difficult to overdose on diatomaceous earth because your body will simply pass the excess diatomaceous earth out of the body in your stool. It can be constipating, so be sure to monitor that.
Whether you’re cleansing heavy metals from your body or reducing harmful bacteria in your digestive tract, diatomaceous earth is a valuable natural substance prized for its simple and natural detoxification effects.
Use it daily for better health.
|Posted on August 13, 2017 at 4:25 PM||comments (0)|
As a city dweller, when you hear the word “ozone,” air pollution probably comes to mind. Yes the two (air pollution and ozone) often go together, but only because ozone is nature’s response to counteracting the air pollution. Uncontrolled ozone at ground level does impact air quality levels, usually negating air pollution toxins.
Ozone is simply oxygen (O2) with an extra atom in its gas molecule (O3). It is often referred to as “excited oxygen.” Ozone is constantly trying to throw off the extra atom, an instability that gives it an oxidizing property, similar to the fizz of hydrogen peroxide. That makes ozone extremely valuable in fighting not just air pollution, but all types of toxins, including those found in dental cavities.
Historically, when faced with a dental cavity, a dentist’s only option was to “cut” the tooth – drill away structure damaged by decay. Today, however, we are able to heal many small cavities with a gentler alternative.
Nutrition is of primary importance as we are rebuilding tooth structure. That being said, following the Weston Price protocol is critical. What you eat is as important as what you don’t eat. (See this post for more information http://www.thebrandwellnesscenter.com/apps/blog/show/24822385-reversing-and-preventing-cavities- )
Ozone dental treatment involves the painless, controlled application of dental ozone gas. It is sprayed onto a tooth with early stages of decay. Ozone drives oxygen through microscopic tubules in enamel, killing bacteria. Oxidation also eliminates acid waste products from bacteria. This creates an unfavorable setting for harmful bacteria that thrive in an acidic environment, and allows beneficial bacteria to take over. The progress of tooth decay is essentially halted.
This new, healthier environment allows minerals to flow back into the tooth, stimulating natural repair of the cavity and hardening of the tooth structure. Once a tooth is remineralized, decay doesn’t usually return once you continue with good nutrition and oral hygiene.
If you have a large cavity with a sizeable hole, your tooth won’t regrow that much structure. However, sterilizing the prepared tooth with ozone before placing a filling can be beneficial. It will sterilize the internal tooth structure and assist with internal remineralization of the tooth. This will practically eliminate the possibility for any bacteria starting a new cavity under the filling.
The applications of ozone in dentistry are many, as it can be used successfully for treating resistant tooth, gum and bone infections of the jaw.
If you like this post, you may also like our other Ozone postings:
|Posted on July 22, 2017 at 6:30 PM||comments (0)|
Holistic medicine is growing rapidly in the United States. Conventional medicine with its use of medications (and subsequent side effects) and invasive treatments, is losing its allure to the general population. People want to be well and feel well without taking drugs.
This is not to downplay the importance of allopathic medicine, as it certainly has its place in emergency situations. But for chronic health challenges, patients are waking up to the idea that there may be solutions outside of just treating the symptoms of the illness.
Dr. Brand receives her Naturopathic Physician Certification
Patients want answers for their chronic health problems, as they finally realize that they are frustrated with the idea of “medication for life”. People are sick and tired of being sick and tired!
As a holistic practitioner, I understand profoundly the mouth–body connection. As a person who overcame chronic Lyme disease (and all its associated symptoms), I understand the hopelessness of being given a label of having an incurable disease.
Having experienced both sides of the conventional medical paradigm, as a doctor and a as a patient, I can honestly attest that there is more to regaining health than most of us have been led to believe.
It is my opinion that most chronic illnesses can be reversed, just as I was able to get past chronic Lyme, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, neuropathy, tremors, brain fog, leaky gut, macular degeneration and an entire host of other “dis-eases” labeled as incurable.
As I wrote in my short book My Secrets to Regaining Health:
"Shifting your health starts with you. Believe that you can be healed. Be proactive in making it so, and you will be. It worked for me and it can for you."
Using biocompatible dental products is important for preventing additional damage to your health, but clearing your body of existing toxins that have accumulated over a lifetime, may be a bigger missing link to regaining health.
As a holistic dentist/naturopathic physician, I am are rooted in the concept that when treating teeth, I consider the entire body — diet, lifestyle, mental and emotional health. In my practice, I only use technology that minimizes exposure to harmful chemicals — for the patient, staff and doctor, as well as the environment.
We are all so much more than our bodies. Holistic medicine is an integrative field that involves the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual fields of health. As a dentist and as a naturopathic physician, I can intelligently and rightfully integrate all these modalities into my dental practice.
|Posted on June 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM||comments (1)|
Colostrum is what is often referred to as "pre-milk", or the fluid produced by the mother's mammary glands during the first 72 hours following the birth of her child. Colostrum provides vital immune and growth factors that ensure the health and vitality of the newborn. In fact, all mammals produce colostrum after giving birth to their young; and receiving colostrum is so important that most baby animals would become ill and die prematurely without it. Colostrum contains almost no lactose, so those that are lactose intolerant should have no problems with a high quality colostrum.
Nearly all infectious, degenerative and autoimmune diseases, including arthritis, diabetes, cancer and heart disease, are preceded or accompanied by impaired functioning of the immune system. This impairment can occur years or decades before the actual disease is diagnosed. Studies show that colostrum contains powerful immune factors (immunoglobulins, lactoferrin, cytokines and interferon) that work to help restore a properly functioning immune system.
• It also contains PRPs (proline-rich-polypeptides), which have been shown to be powerful immune system modulators.
• PRPs work by stimulating the thymus gland (producer of T cells) that provides protection against antigens.
• PRPs calm down an overactive immune system, thereby assisting in shutting down autoimmune diseases.
Colostrum also contains numerous growth factors (hormones) which promote healing and create an anti-aging response. These benefits include:
• Regenerate and accelerate normal growth of aged or injured muscle, bone, cartilage, skin collagen and nerve tissue.
• Muscle mass, which normally decreases with age, can be preserved or increased.
• Repair DNA and RNA.
• Bone mass and density is increased
• Heal burns, surgical incisions, cuts, abrasions, and mouth sores with topical application.
• Help regulate blood glucose levels and "brain chemicals", providing alertness and better concentration.
• Help regulate the brain's "feel-good" chemicals to brighten mood.
As for oral health:
• Control infection and pain associated with gingivitis, sensitive teeth and dental work.
• Conclusive study showing colostrum is effective in the treatment of Sjogrens (dry mouth) syndrome.
Colostrum is a whole, complete natural substance which doesn't need to be overly processed in order to be effective. There have been no contraindications, side effects, or allergies reported during the thousands of years of human consumption. Additionally, we know that colostrum's ability to increase the surface area of the small intestine can potentially make some medications, vitamins, and minerals more absorbable. This may necessitate that your doctor reduce your medication dosage. This also means that you’ll also get more nutrition from the foods you eat.
For those baby boomers born in the era of bottle feeding (not breast fed on mother’s milk), and hoping to improve chronic health issues, supplementing with colostrum may be the missing link for attaining better health.
|Posted on May 12, 2017 at 7:25 PM||comments (1)|
Most of us involved with holistic health are already aware that the health of your mouth is a reflection of the health of your body.
According to the BMJ (British Medical Journal), a recent study in Sweden was conducted that proved there is a significant link between excessive dental plaque and premature cancer death. Higher levels of bacteria correlated with increased risks of dying up to 13 years earlier than normally expected.
Almost 1400 people were followed for a period of 24 years. Of the 58 people who passed away, 35.6% of them were women and 64.4% were men. The difference between genders was statistically significant, implying that men need to keep a cleaner oral cavity to stay well.
Based on the findings of this study, the high bacterial load on tooth surfaces and in gingival pockets over a prolonged period of time may indeed play a significant role in getting cancer. The control of the oral biofilm (plaque, tartar) is necessary to reduce the burden of the bad bacteria that may lead to getting cancer.
As was concluded in the study, poor oral hygiene, as reflected in the amount of dental plaque, was associated with increased cancer mortality. As a good preventative, we should all floss, brush, and eat right on a daily basis. And as importantly, visit your dentist regularly for evaluations and proper dental cleanings.
|Posted on April 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM||comments (2)|
As a follow-up to our last post, there are some simple remedies to improve your adrenal health:
• Limit all caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, chocolate). Or just limit it to the early morning
• Limit all sugar foods or foods that quickly break down to sugar (most simple carbohydrates)
• Increase Vit C intake
• Increase mineral intake (grey Celtic salt is a good choice as it has 84 minerals)
• Increase magnesium intake- Epsom salt baths or magnesium oil
• Get off the computer/cell phone before 10 PM
• Do your best to get in bed by 10 PM. The circadian rhythm of the body allows for optimum physical healing between the hours of 10 PM and 2 AM
• Install the free f.lux software so that your computer/cell phone does not emit the blue light in the evening. (The blue light from these electronics stimulates brain activity and keeps you awake)
• Do not eat within 3 hours of bedtime
• Add healthy fats – Coconut oil, ghee, olives, organic olive oil, and clarified butter all greatly support adrenal health.
• Eliminate stress -try meditation, yoga, breathing techniques
• Eliminate toxic metals from your environment (cookware, dental fillings, water supply, etc.)
• Add adaptogenic herbs – Ashwagandha, panax ginseng, and astragalus are good choices
• Medicinal Mushrooms – These include Reishi, Chaga, Cordyceps, etc. They all have stress-relieving properties and boost overall levels of health. I use them as teas.
By integrating as many of these natural adrenal healing practices, you should start feeling more rested, healthy, and energetic over time. Adrenal fatigue can be healed; you just need to see what works best for you. Making better daily choices in foods and lifestyle is key.
As always, it is best to work with an adrenal educated health practitioner to get the best results.
If you like this post, you may also like: Adrenal Fatigue and Mercury Fillings